row of houses.webp

A tenant's guide to renting

Frequently asked questions

What is a tenancy deposit?

A deposit is secured by Stag Valley Property to cover any damage or repair costs incurred during your tenancy. On the first day an inventory will be produced and quality of maintenance inspection reports implemented. These will then be reviewed when the tenancy term completes and any deductions required to reinstate the original quality of maintenance inspection shall be deducted from the deposit.

Which documents do I need for my references?

In order for us to take you into accountability, you will be required to fill in a referencing form. These will include:

  • Details of your current and previous address along with tenancy agreements where applicable.
  • Employment details.
  • Income confirmation.
  • Photo I.D
  • Last 3 months bank statements.

What happens to the tenancy deposit once it has been paid?

All tenants deposits are sent to a government approved deposit scheme for safe keeping. Stag Valley Property does not control any deposits made to the tenancy.

Who is responsible for notifying the utility companies that I am moving in?

It is the obligation of the tenant to notify previous utilities and current utilities of your move and pay any outstanding debts. We encourage all tenants to take meter readings at the start and end of their tenancy agreements. Circumstances may differ in HMOs.

Who pays the council tax?

Single let tenants are required to pay their own. HMO council tax will be included in the rent unless stated otherwise.

Who pays for the TV license?

Single let tenants are required to pay their own. HMO TV license will be included in the rent unless stated otherwise

Do I need my own insurance?

Stag Valley Property insure all their properties and contents on the inventory. You are responsible for insuring any of your personal contents for your tenancy term.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

  • Pay the rent on time
  • Pay council tax unless otherwise agreed
  • Pay all the utility bills and the TV licence unless otherwise agreed
  • Do general household and garden maintenance
  • Dispose of all rubbish
  • Clean the windows
  • Carry out basic maintenance* such as replacing light bulbs
  • Keep the property secure at all times
  • Advise of any repairs or maintenance needed as soon as it arises
  • Not create unnecessary noise for neighbours
  • Ventilate property

How do I report repairs?

We ask that all repairs needed are reported via email to where we endeavour to get back to you within 2 working days

Can the landlord enter the property?

A Stag valley property representative may enter the property with 24 hours notice given. If we have been sent reports suggesting that there is a breach in contract/tenancy agreement then we reserve the right to turn up unannounced to investigate the situation in accusation.

What will happen if I am late in paying my rent?

Rent payments are checked regularly. If a payment is missed you will be contacted by a member of the team to discuss options or any guidance needed. If rent arrears build up for a number of months Stag Valley Property may seek to use legal action and notice may be served,

What happens to my deposit after I move out?

Within 2-3 working days of you moving out a Stag Valley property representative will carry out an appraisal on the property taking into account wear and tear at our own discretion. Your deposit will be then returned to you with any deductions made in requirements for repairs.

What happens to my rent payments at the end of the tenancy?

You are required to cancel your rental payments via your bank or building society. Any extra payments made will be returned by us but may take unto a couple of weeks to be processed.